This Partner Visa permits the de facto Partner or Spouse of an Australian citizen, Permanent Resident of Australia or an eligible citizen of New Zealand to dwell in Australia Temporarily. But, obtaining this visa initiates the process of proceeding towards the Permanent Partner visa (Subclass 801).

Conditions for Partner Visa (Temporary) (Subclass 820)There are no conditions attached to partner visa (Subclass 820).

This visa permits you: –

  • Dwell and do the job in Australia until decided upon Permanent Partner Visa(Subclass 801)
  • Entitled to enrol in study course (Without Government Aid)
  • Enrol for Medicare(Australia’s public healthcare scheme)
  • Include dependent children (must be in Australia at the time of lodge of application) on your Application.
  • Enrol in free English Language classes up to 510 hours.
  • To travel and from Australia as persistently as you wish.

Eligibility Criteria: –

  • You must be in a genuine relationship with your spouse or de facto partner who is a citizen of Australia, a permanent resident of Australia or an eligible citizen of New Zealand.
  • You need to be in Australia at the time of applying for this visa and also while at the time of deciding your application.
  • Family applying must also be onshore while at the time of lodging your application.


Paid at the time of combined application for the temporary and permanent partner visa.

Visa Subclass Fee Additional Applicant Fee (Child)  
  Main Applicant Under 18 Over 18
Subclass 820/801 visa AUD7,715 AUD1,935 AUD3,860
(Subclass 300) Prospective Marriage visa holders AUD 1,285    
Held a Prospective Marriage visa but didn’t apply for (Subclass 820 and 801) before its expiry AUD1,630    
Dependent child visa holders (Subclass 445) NIL    

Other Expenses include: – Police certificates.
Character checks.
Medical examination fee.

Processing Period: – 23 to 27 months.

  1. Application, however, might take a longer time to process if not filled correctly.
  2.  All documents are not provided.
  3. It takes time for us to verification of your information

Stay time: –

  • Stay allowed is from 15 to 24 months.
  • Applicants can stay until decided upon Permanent Partner Visa(801)
  • Applicants with a quite long-term relationship before they lodge the visa request might not have to wait on the Subclass 820 visa at all. They might be granted a permanent visa immediately after granting of temporary subclass 820 visa.

Family: – Applicant can include his/her dependent child while applying for combined visas.

  • These Applicants can include members of the family unit in the application but not after submission of the application.
  • If you hadn’t included your dependent child in your temporary visa application, you can add them still in your application before deciding on your permanent visa application.
  • The child must:-
  • Be onshore.
  • Hold a dependent child visa(subclass 445)

A place to Apply From: –

            While applying and also at the time of deciding the application, the applicant

            and other family members applying or dependent child must be onshore, but not in     

            immigration clearance.

Health Insurance: –

  1. It depends on the situation, whether you are eligible to enrol in Medicare, Australia’s Public health care system.
  2. If not eligible then it is recommended that you take health insurance to cover any unforeseen treatment that you might need to take in Australia, or else, it will be personal liability for all of your healthcare costs.

Travel: – Applicant can travel inside or outside Australia as many times as one wishes.

Bridging visa: – While your 820 visa is under process, you will be granted a bridging visa.

  • You will be permitted to enrol in Course of study and in Medicare.

  1. Applicants with a long-term relationship before they lodge the visa request might not have to wait on the Subclass 820 visa at all. They might be granted a permanent visa immediately after granting of temporary subclass 820 visa.
  2. Long term implies
  3. A minimum of 3 years
  4. 2 years in case of a dependent child of the relationship.

Marriage: – You and your partner

  • Must be legally married in Australia.
  • Must own a mutual commitment to a common life as a married couple.

De facto relationship: –

  1. Applicants need to have been in a de facto relationship(if not married) for a minimum of 12 months before lodging the application unless you have registered your relationship or there are circumstances enough to wave the 12-month requirement.
  2. No matter what kind of relationship (either married or de facto) you must clarify: –
  3. Your relationship is real and enduring.
  4. Your relationship is mutually beneficial.
  5. You live together, or you don’t live separately.

Immigration will take into consideration the following criteria of your relationship: –

  • Social: – to reveal that your relationship is known to third parties.
  • Financial: – to reveal joint ownership of the real estate, other major possessions, and combined responsibilities for financial liabilities.
  • Household: – to confirm mutual household responsibilities.
  • Nature of your commitment to each other: – to confirm your willingness to be in a long-term commitment and genuine married or de facto relationship.

Steps Involved (in Applying): – The application form is lodged online.

Step 1. Before Applying: – just check.

  • Your Passport.

Step 2. Gather all Evidence: –

  • You and Your Australian partner will need to provide as required with evidence given below: –
  • Identity Documents (Passport and Birth Certificate)
  • Character documents
  • Certified Registration proof of marriage or relationship.
  • At least 2 forms 888’s (Statutory Declaration) given by witnesses attesting that your relationship is true.
  • Each of you should provide a written statement or statutory declaration covering the history and development of your relationship.
  • Proof of change of name (if applicable).
  • Documents of dependents, Above or Below 18(if applicable)
  • Prepare your documents: –
  • You will need to translate all non-English documents into


  • Scan your documents or get them photographed in colour.
  • The scan must be a valid one.
  • Keep a replica of your completed application.

Step3. Visa Application: – 

  • Visa is applied online, by providing correct and relevant information.

Step 4. After Applying: –

  • We will inform you after receiving your application and documents.

 Step5. The outcome of Visa: – While deciding on your Permanent Partner Visa, you can be onshore or offshore.

  • During granting of your visa, we will inform you about your visa grant number, the date of start of your visa and its conditions. 
  • In case of refusal of our visa, we will let you know the reason for refusal and if you have a right to a review of the decision.
  • The application fee is non-refundable.

Visa label: – Your visa will be digitally linked to your passport

While you have this visa:-

  • You got to Abide by all Australian laws whereas on your temporary visa.
  • If your relationship didn’t work, you would possibly still be eligible for this Subclass 820 and 801 (permanent) visa.
  • To be eligible to apply for subclass 801, you need to hold this Subclass 820 visa. Granting any other visa will replace your Subclass 820 visa that means you will no longer be eligible for a Permanent Subclass 801 visa. 
  • Start gathering evidence to use for Permanent 801 visa.

Conditions for Partner Visa (Temporary) (Subclass 820)

There are no conditions attached to partner visa (Subclass 820)

Book an Appointment:-

  • We at BANSAL Immigration consultants offer the much-needed help so as to convince the Australian Immigration authorities about your actual intention to stay and work in Australia.
  • We do everything possible to present you as a true candidate and that you will adhere to all rules and commitments during your stay in Australia.
  •  Also, we assure you that your interview round goes well, which is yet another growing step to get this visa in Australia.

****How can we assist you? Please call our number mentioned on the website.

Or Contact Us