Western Australia has been expressing support to skilled migration in the state. It has introduced the new Graduate Stream for the Subclass 190 (Skilled Nomination Visa) and the Subclass 489 (Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa). It is a welcome move for international students with skilled migration becoming more and more competitive.
Until now, applicants who were seeking a nomination from WA had to go through the General stream. They had to nominate an occupation listed on the WASMOL (Western Australia Skilled Migration Occupation List). There were only a limited number of occupations on WASMOL, mainly medical practitioners, and hence there was lesser immigration to the state, as per SBS.
Applicants seeking to nominate a non-medical occupation, now have the opportunity to do this under the Graduate Stream in WA. This is effective 25th September 2018. The Graduate Stream has a long list of occupations from other industries like Engineering, ICT, and Medicine.
Graduate Stream requirements
- Applicants must be international graduates having completed a course of at 2 years from an educational institute in WA
- Applicants should be able to nominate an occupation from the GOL (Graduate Occupation List) for either the Subclass 489 or the Subclass 190 Visa
- Doctoral degree and Master degree holders can nominate any occupation listed on the GOL. Graduate Diploma, Graduate Certificate, Bachelors, and Bachelors Honours degree holders may be able to nominate a few occupations from the GOL.
- Candidates nominating occupations from occupation group 1 and 2 must be able to demonstrate proficient English. Competent English scores would be required for the others.
- Candidates must have at least 1 year of work experience in Australia or at least 3 years of relevant work experience overseas in the recent 10 years. The work experience has to be in the nominated occupation or closely related occupation. PhD and Masters Candidates are exempt from this condition.
- Candidates must have an offer of employment in Australia for at least a period of 12 months
Looking for further assistance on skill select invitations works? Book a consultation today with our experts or drop your queries at Bansal Immigration consultant.