There have always been a number of career opportunities for Engineering Graduates in Australia. There has been a demand for skilled workers in all Engineering disciplines.
Who are Recruiting experts in Engineering that in the coming months of 2018, there will be an increasing demand for:
- Structural Engineers
- Civil Engineers
- Civil Design Engineers
- Intermediate Civil Engineers
- Civil Drafters
- Electrical Engineers
- Water Engineers
- Fire Design Engineers
- Revit Drafters
- Traffic Modelers
- Transport Planners
- Hydraulic Drafters
To meet the growing demand of Engineers in the country, Australia has taken several initiatives and one such initiative is the introduction of the Subclass 476 (Skilled Recognized Graduate) Visa.
What is the Subclass 476 Visa?
The Subclass 476 Visa also called the Skilled Recognized Graduate Visa is a Visa for recent engineering graduates from recognized institutes. This Visa allows them to look for employment and work in Australia for up to 18 months.
What is the eligibility for the Subclass 476 Visa?
Following are the eligibility criteria for the Subclass 476 Visa:
- Applicant should be under 31 years of age
- Should have completed an Engineering Degree from a recognized institute in the recent 2 years
- Should have never held another Subclass 476 or Subclass 485 (Temporary Graduate) Visa (unless you were part of a family group)
- Meet the English language requirement
- Meet the health requirements and should be able to provide police clearance certificates
What “Engineering Degrees” are eligible?
In the last two years before you apply, you must have completed any one of the following qualifications in Engineering:
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- Postgraduate Diploma
What specializations in Engineering are eligible?
You must have any one of the below specializations in Engineering:
- Structural Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical, Plant and Production Engineering
- Mining and Material Engineering
What does “A Recognized Institute” mean?
In Australia, a recognized institute offering an Engineering degree is accredited under the Washington Accord. It is an international agreement among professional bodies of participating countries that are responsible for accrediting Engineering degrees.
It assures that the degrees accredited by the professional bodies of the participating countries are significantly equivalent to the degrees in Australia.
What if your institute is not recognized under the Washington Accord?
In that case, you must have a degree from one of the other recognized institutes listed on the official Immigration website of the Dept. of Home Affairs.
For example, the Indian institutes which feature on this list are:
- Anna University in Chennai
- Benaras Hindu University in Varanasi
- Indian Institute of Science in Bengaluru
- Indian Institute of Technology in Kharagpur
- Indian School of Mines in Dhanbad
How can you prove English language proficiency for the Subclass 476 Visa?
To prove your English language proficiency you may take any one of the tests below:
- IELTS (Academic): Should have an overall score of 6 with minimum 5 in each band
- PTE (Academic): Should have an overall score of 50 with at least 36 in each band
- OET: Should have a minimum score of B in each component
- TOEFL: Should have a total score of 64 with at least 4 in reading and listening and minimum 14 in writing and speaking
- Cambridge (CAE): Should have an overall score of 169 with a minimum of 154 in each band
Can you include your family members in this Visa?
Yes, you can include your spouse or common-law partner and dependent children on this Visa.
Do you need to buy health insurance before applying for this Visa?
Yes, you would need to buy health insurance before applying for this Visa.
How do you prove character requirements?
To prove your character requirements, you would have to provide police clearance certificates. This would be required from all the countries that you have lived in for more than a year after you turned 16.
Does the Subclass 476 Visa make you eligible for Permanent Residency of Australia?
The Subclass 476 Visa is granted for a period of 18 months and there is no provision of extension. However, there are alternate routes that you may take to gain Australian Permanent Residency.
- Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189): It is a point-tested Visa which allows you to live and work permanently in Australia. You would need to score 65 points on various parameters like age, education, work experience, language proficiency etc. to qualify.
- Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190): You may be eligible for this Visa if you are nominated by a State or Territory in Australia. This is also a points tested Visa and you would be required to score 65 points to qualify.
- Employer Nomination Scheme Visa (Subclass 186): You may qualify for a PR through this Visa if you are nominated by an approved employer for a skilled position in Australia.
- Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 486): If you were living in the regional areas of Australia on your Subclass 476 Visa and are willing to work there in the future, then you may be eligible for this Visa.
Looking for further assistance on skill select invitations works? Book a consultation today with our experts or drop your queries at Bansal Immigration consultant.