It starts with you when you decided to come to Australia to do your future studies.
You have to select your course, preferred state, and preferential college/university.
Apply for admission
- depending upon your circumstances, it is a competitive process to secure your place in top Australian institutes.
To come here to study, students must obtain a Student visa (subclass 500). This visa enables you to come to Australia to study and work part-time to gain experience. This visa will give you unlimited rights to travel in and out of Australia while your visa is in effect. Once you start studying, you can also work up to 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session and full-time during your study breaks. The duration of your student depends upon the course period. A student visa is usually granted for a course span plus two months. It is a temporary visa and can be granted for up to 5 years. For young children enrolled in Year 1- 4, it can be granted only a 3-year visa. If you are unable to complete your study in time, then you can also apply for a new student visa (student visa extension) to complete your course. It is a substantive visa and you can apply for any other visa during you held the student visa.
You can apply for a Student Visa by studying:
- Primary and secondary schooling: Year 1 -12
- English Courses (General English, ELICOS, etc.)
- Vocational Courses: Certificate and diploma courses in Hospitality, Automotive, Painting, Business, Leadership, Bakery, etc.
- Higher Education courses: Bachelor’s Degree. Master and Ph.D. in Accounting, Information Technology, Business, Social work, Nursing, etc.
In your student visa application, your family can be included at the time of application or after the grant. Once granted they can accompany you, while you complete your studies in Australia. All family members of the student must be declared in the student visa application even if they are planning to come to Australia unless they become your family member after the student visa application. For instance when you got married or have a baby after the application. In that case, you must update the department about change in circumstances and provide information about them at your earliest. If you fail to disclose your family member’s then the department may refuse to grant them visas.
STUDENT VISA ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- The applicant must be at least 6 years old to apply for this visa.
- You must enroll in a full-time registered course at the time of application. You must supply Confirmation of enrolment (CoE) with the student visa application. Otherwise, your student visa application will not be valid.
- The student must provide all CoE details at the time of application. It will ensure that you have enough student visa to complete your course.
- The gap between the two package courses should not exceed 2 months. The only exception is if it is the end of the current year and the next course starts next year.
- If you are a minor (under 18 years old), then you must have adequate welfare arrangements in place. You can contact Bansal Immigration for more information about the welfare arrangements.
- You must have enough English language knowledge. Department may ask you to provide evidence. It will depend upon the country of passport and education provider. if the department asks, then the student can provide the following test results. Minimum English scores are
|English language test providers||Minimum score||Minimum score and at least 10 weeks English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS)||Minimum score and at least 20 weeks ELICOS|
|International English Language Testing System (IELTS)||5.5||5||4.5|
|TOEFL internet-based test||46||35||32|
|Cambridge English: Advanced (Certificate in Advanced English)||162||154||147|
|Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic)||42||36||30|
|Occupational English Test||B for each test component||N/A||N/A|
*test must be less than 2 years old.
- You may be exempt from the English test if any of the following applies:
- If you are a passport holder of any English speaking country such as the UK, USA, Canada, NZ, or the Republic of Ireland.
- You are Foreign Affairs or Defence sponsored or exchange student.
- Only studying English or ELICOS in Australia.
- You have studied for 5 years in any English speaking country. English-speaking countries are the UK, USA, Canada, NZ, or the Republic of Ireland.
- If you have completed your Year 12 or a substantial part of Certificate IV or higher in Australia. Substantial has not been defined in legislation. It is generally accepted that a 50% completed course will meet the requirement.
- Overseas student health cover (OSHC). You and your family members, who are in Australia, must have health insurance. Health insurance should be OSHC by an approved provider. It should cover your whole visa. You must provide health insurance details with the visa application. The case officer can refuse your application if you do not provide OSHC details.
- You must meet the financial capacity criteria. You must have enough money to cover your studies and the cost of living. Department tells about the benchmark of the cost of living. We should use this amount while calculating financial requirements. Department provides this amount every year.
- Genuine temporary entrant criteria
- Health requirement
- Character requirements
AUSTRALIAN STUDENT VISA FEES
|TU500 Student ELICOS Sector||620.00|
|Additional Applicant Charge 18+||460.00|
|Additional Applicant Charge U18||150.00|
|Subsequent Temporary Application Charge||700.00|
Additional cost includes overseas student health cover, biometrics, and health checks. In some cases, you can be also asked to provide police checks to prove your character.
AUSTRALIAN STUDENT VISA PROCESSING TIME:
Processing times can vary based on which sector you’re applying for and it can take between 29 days to 42 days for 75% and 90% of the applications respectively for the higher education sector. 43 days to 77 days for 75% and 90% of applications in the Vocational Education and Training Sector.
HOW CAN WE HELP?
- BANSAL Immigration, we represent most of Australian Universities and colleges. We can guide you to choose the best course from the suitable education provider. We will make the admission process simple and do all the hard work for you.
- We can also arrange the OSHC cover for you as well. We can provide a competitive price. We make sure that you get the most coverage. OSHC should cover public hospitals, GPs, and medical costs. Bansal Immigration Consultants represents the major OSHC providers, BUPA, Allianz, ahm, nib, and Medibank.
- Meeting student visa financial requirements. Most student visa holders rely on bank loans to fund their studies. But, obtaining a loan could be a tedious process. At Bansal immigration, we can simplify the process for you.