Family Sponsored Visas:

If you are an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen, then you may be able to sponsor your eligible family member to live in Australia. Eligible family includes partner spouse (including De-facto) children (biological or adopted), and parents including step parents.

There are number of options to choose from depending upon individual’s circumstances. The most commonly used options are listed below:

Partner visa:

An Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen can sponsor his/her partner, prospective spouse (fiancée) or interdependent partner (same-sex partner) for an Australian visa. Partner visa is two stage process. In the first stage the applicant is given temporary visa (subclass 820/ 309). The applicant is eligible to apply for second stage (subclass 801/100) after two years from the date of application of their visa.

As per department usual processing time for first stage is 8-12 months and for second stage is around 6 months. The focus in this visa is genuineness of your relationship along with the other requirements such as health and character.

Child Visas:

Under this category, an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen can sponsor their child for Australian visa. Applicant child can be biological or adopted child. Orphan relative child can also be sponsored under this type of visa.

Under this category, if the applicant is over 18 than he must fulfil these conditions:

  1. Must be a full-time student
  2. Age must be less than 25 years and
  3. Must be financially dependent on the sponsoring parent. OR
  4. They have disability due to which they cannot work.

An orphan relative can also be sponsored by any eligible relative (a brother, sister, grandparent, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or step-equivalent), who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen. However, a person will only be eligible, if his/her parents are either missing, dead or permanently incapacitated.

Adoption Visa (Permanent) (Subclass 102):

An eligible sponsor can sponsor also sponsor a child who is adopted overseas to live in Australia as a permanent resident. A child who is in the process of adoption might also be able to apply for this visa. To apply for this the child must be outside Australia when applying for the visa.

Dependent Child Visa (Subclass 445):

If the child is already in Australia, then she/he can apply for a Dependent Child Visa (Subclass 445). Under this visa, a child can be inside or outside Australia. If a child is over 18 years then they must show that they are financially dependent on the parent holding the temporary partner visa, or they have disability.

Parent Visa:

You can apply for this visa if you have child who is an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen. For child to be eligible, they must be living in Australia lawfully for at least 2 years before you lodge your visa application.

In addition, you must meet balance of family test. Which means, at least half or more than half of your children are Australia citizen or permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizens. You sponsor also must provide assurance of support.

Assurance of support:

An assurance of support is a commitment from the sponsor or any other person, who are willing to support you so that you do not have to rely on social security payments. This assurance must cover all the applicant in your application. An assurance of support can be given by up to three persons.

There are number of different visa options to choose from.

Parent Visa (subclass 103):

If you are outside Australia, meet the balance family test and other requirements then you can apply for this visa. However, this visa has long processing time up to 30 years.

Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa (subclass 173):

Alternatively, you can skip the queue by paying higher visa application charges. This visa will allow you to live in Australia for up to 2 years as a temporary resident and after that you can apply for permanent visa.  You can be either in or outside Australia.

Contributory Parent Visa (subclass 143):

You can also apply directly apply for permanent visa, if you must pay higher visa fees than the temporary visa. You can also apply if you hold the temporary parent visa (subclass 173).

Aged Parent visa (subclass 804):

If you are inside Australia and of or over the pension age, then you can apply for a permanent Australian visa.  However, like subclass 103 visa, this has a long processing time of up to 30 years.

Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa (subclass 884):

Alternatively, if you pay the higher fees then you can apply for the Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa (subclass 884).

Contributory Aged Parent Visa (subclass 864):

If you meet the other requirements and pay the higher fees, then you can apply for the Contributory Aged Parent Visa (subclass 864) directly. You can also apply for this visa if hold subclass 884 temporary parent visa.

Other Family Migration:

Family members, who are not covered above mentioned visa, may be eligible under migration visa such as aged dependent relative visa, remaining relative visa and carer visa.